Tuesday, September 25, 2007

So what part of a point is too small to care about?

The results of week 3 are... the first 3 way tie for a game. Its always remarkable how we manage to do this a couple times each year. So I offer up Jims comment for general comments, do we institute a margain of victory "tiebreaker" to eliminate thirds of a point? I don't much care, its a spreadsheet, it can handle the digits, but I certainly don't mind. If we institute the tiebreaker it will be retroactive back over all 3 weeks, because i still have all the data up. Leave a comment, let me know!

Congrats to Jim for bounding back this week, its still a tight race, any week could swing the standings right now. Congrats on the upset special to Vince for GB over SD, though at this point I think the only people I'd pick SD to beat are Oakland and New Orleans... so they may not make an upset special again for a while.

Question of the week, now that we have winnowed the undefeated field to 5 teams, who will be the last one standing? I have my thoughts, but I have grading to do so i'll let everyone else weigh in first.

Go Irish! (Hockey)

Chris

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the tiebreaker, mostly because i get a point in this weeks case. ;)

MJenks said...

New England will be the last undefeated standing. My beloved Packers always pull a choke job on some team that they should beat (like the Jets).

Jim said...

I cringe at the numerical ugliness of someone getting 0.33 points. 0.5 points, sure. 0.33 points or worse, 0.2 points or 0.167 points is just ridiculous. But if we can't get a quorum and a supermajority, I'm okay with the system the way it is.

BTW, I'd just like to thank Rex Grossman for giving me the DAL/CHI game over Rich by throwing yet another garbage-time INT. Cannon, you can be my wingman anytime.

Chris said...

by a majority of active participants, there will now be a margin of victory tiebreak, but so help me, if that splits 3 ways we are either living with thirds of a point or we'll have some steel cage deathmatch resolution. no further tiebreakers. at that point only a statistician wants to do the math

Jim said...

To answer your question, Chris, it will be the Colts. The Pats will drop the game against Miami, in one of those fluky things they always do. The Packers will drop one very soon (next 3) and the Steelers will lose to the Bengals.

This is, of course, entirely made of whole cloth.