Monday, September 17, 2007

Patterson update

well since I don't have much to say about football... the irish look bad, the gophers look bad and both could probably beat the falcons...

I'll introduce myself and give an update:

I was Rich's first postdoc.... also worked with Brad Smith (I think Rich had the left half of me and Brad had the right half).

Since leaving the Taylor/Smith group I've been with two startup companies... the first industrial project lead to a compound that is now in phase 3 clinicals for p. carinii and some of my work at the second led to a compound that is now in phase 2 for HCV.

After leaving the second company (Pharmasset) I joined the faculty at Minnesota where I'm now an Associate Professor and Associate Director of the Center for Drug Design. I've been at Minnesota for almost exactly 3 years. My group webpage is

http://www.cdd.umn.edu/cdd/Member_Directory/Steve_Patterson.html


This summer was a bit of a roller coaster ride for me... my father died, I received the appointment as Associate Professor, and my grant for HIV therapeutics was awarded (11%ile).... all in the space of about a week.

Would be nice to hear from Brian, Jeff, Gabe, Kerry, Matt, Mike and the rest of the guys who were there while I was.

Gabe: I see you're at Scynexis... do you know Sarah Dimick-Gray? She's in my group now.

best to all you Taylorites

Rich, I was hoping to get back to South Bend this summer but the stuff with my father made that impossible... hopefully I can stop by again in spring.

Steve
:)X

4 comments:

RET said...

Confessions.

I had neither half of Steve.

I do not why Steve ended his letter with a kiss.

It was I who changed the password.

(Good to hear from you Steve)!

Steve Patterson said...

oops, typo.

or was that the skull and crossbones we used as a greeting when I was with your group.. yeah, that's the ticket...

MJenks said...

Since Gabe started after I did and I started after Sarah left, I'm going to guess that Gabe doesn't know Sarah.

Steve Patterson said...

thanks, Matt

Sarah doesn't remember you guys... says Scynexis went on a 'hiring binge' just after she left.

Kinda cool that you guys would go from the Taylor group to there and she would come work with us.

Are you guys process? discovery?