Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Breakfast sandwiches.

I'm a little frustrated these days with politics, so let's talk about something that I like: fast-food breakfast sandwiches (hereafter abbreviated as FFBS).

In particular, I would like to praise the chefs at Jack-in-the-Box, who have developed the Sausage Croissant Combo. It consists of a croissant sandwich with sausage, egg and cheese (hold the cheese, please), hash brown sticks and a cup of coffee. All of this can be yours for the low, low price of $3.65. While this is not necessarily a great culinary experience, I have found the my local JinB consistently delivers a tasty (and what appears to be hand-fried) egg and the hash brown sticks range from acceptable to sublime.

I submit to you that this is the best deal in FFBS. McDonald's has the McGriddle, which is a fantastic sandwich, but far too pricey at > $5.90 for the combo meal. Burger King's Croissan'Wich is better priced, but still rather mundane. Starbucks' foray into FFBS were tasty, but far too high priced and the ingredients poorly selected.

I try not to buy these very often, but they're quite good when I can get them. It may be my favorite fast food discovery in southern California. In-and-Out Burger is quite good, but overrated, especially when compared to the fine burger that you can get at Culver's. There -- now I'm ready for a healthy ( believe it or not) dinner.

4 comments:

Jim said...

I would, however, like to object to one of Jack-in-the-Box's marketing tactics: when ordering the excellent Sausage Croissant Combo and communicating with (not kidding) their remote call center in the drive through, the customer service rep will ask you if you want "orange juice or iced coffee", both which will cost you extra. Quite often, I respond with an emphatic "No!" Thanks, MBAs!

RET said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

One word: cereal...breakfast (and sometimes lunch and dinner) of champions and those who have Italian shoe fetishes.

Jim said...

Cereal's tasty stuff, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't provide the mouthfeel (and insulin spike) of FFBS.