Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Putting your money where your mouth is, legally

Dave's going to laugh at this, considering it's mostly used for commodities trading, but...

Last night (with the proceeds of a birthday gift from my better half), I bought 24 futures contracts for the Democratic candidate for the Presidency at 0.615 dollars per contract on the Iowa Electronic Markets. They will pay 1.00 dollar if the Democrat candidate wins. They will pay nothing if he/she loses.

While I don't find this (the prospect of an Obama presidency) to be a extraordinarily satisfactory outcome, I think there is somewhat of a win/win for my personal happiness.

3 comments:

RET said...

Alright Jim. I get the hint.

How much is gonna take to get you to vote for Obama just to cancel out Mike's vote?

Jim said...

Hey, Rich:

I live in California (for the moment). My vote, either way, doesn't really count. Therefore, it's not really worth anything.

Now if I were to move to a swing state...

Mike Schmitt said...

If you're into buying votes... I'm game.