Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An intemperate and unwise blast at the Buckeye State

Hi, Ohio:

So I see you've decided to vote for Clinton. Bully for you. I see you've decided to lap up all the politicians pandering to you on NAFTA. I've got a little to say about it:

Those manufacturing jobs? NOT YOUR JOBS. They're just jobs, not Ohio's jobs, not America's jobs, just jobs. Every single freakin' one of us not involved in immediate hands-on occupations (ER surgeon, plumber, hairdresser, etc.) has to compete for our positions on a global basis. It's not changing back to the good ol' days, where wages were high and so was job security. Sorry. I wish it were so.

Stand up, Ohio, and look at yourself. You have a large and well-educated population. You're relatively wealthy and have two great American metropolises. You have two three high-powered universities that can compete on a global basis. It's not so bad -- you're not Mississippi.

Quit whinging about NAFTA and get to work building your own future.

3 comments:

Vince said...

Jim,

While I agree with most of your comments I have to disagree when you say that most of Ohio is well educated. I will never understand how Hillary can give her stump speech in Ohio and people cheer when she speaks about NAFTA or the war in Iraq. Especially when she voted to expand NAFTA and to authorize the war.

I will leave you with one thought. I would like to believe that racism in my state is a thing of the past. But the reality is that most people in Ohio still feel hatred towards scary dark people. I see this less amongst people in my state who are educated and who have actually associated with said "scary" people. And this brings me back to my original point. Most people in Ohio are not very intelligent.

MJenks said...

Any idea whether Rush Limbaugh's call to the Republicans to go and vote for Hillary so that she can sling some more much and mud at Obama and McCain doesn't have to played into the results? I have a sour taste in my mouth, too, after last night's results, but Limbaugh's imploring of the Republicans to muddle things up made it even more acrid.

Vince said...

Jim,

Aren't you forgeting www.udayton.edu?