Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Go Obama Go!



So some Senate Democrats are going to panic about the Coakley loss (which I did not predict correctly at all). Evan Bayh may have already.

Here's what I think President Obama should do: go all out. The whole centrist, calm, cool, collected thing isn't working. He should mash all the buttons down, turn the volume to 11 and just give a general "screw you" to the Republican party. Bring it all out: kill the bankers on Wall Street, go for single payer health care, stop all foreclosures for 180 days, all the big hits.

I think it would be politically braver than any of his baby steps and it would convince the strangely apathetic left that there's something worth fighting for. And I, for one, would enjoy the show.

3 comments:

Vince said...

Jim,

The things you mentioned are exactly why I voted for the guy. I thought he would have the balls to push his agenda, and not give a frak about what people thought. He could really learn from the previous president on how to do that.

Jim said...

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. A quote from a Democratic Senate staffer:

"While I always thought we had the better ideas but the weaker messaging, it feels like somewhere along the line Members internalized a belief that we actually have weaker ideas. They're afraid to actually implement them and face the judgement of the voters. That's the scariest dynamic and what makes me think this will all come crashing down around us in November."

Vince said...

Jim,

This might be a little vulgar, but will accurately describe the current dems in office. They, like European soccer players, are giant pu****