Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why I admire the 2007 New England Patriots

There’s a lot to admire in the New England Patriots. I really admire the great play of their offensive line. It’s no stretch to say that Tom Brady is an excellent quarterback; he’s clearly one of the two best in the league and quite possibly the best. The Patriots’ run game is good and the passing game – well, enough said.

I think the New England defense is great (duh!) – Asante Samuel has recovered nicely from the victimizing that Peyton Manning subjected him to in that Week 9 game in the 2005 season to become a great cornerback. The linebacking corps is undoubtedly old, but plays so smart. They always come up with the key tackle.

I admire the Patriots’ attitude, most of all. I love the fact that stars play special teams. I like that they managed not to crow too much about going undefeated so far. Mercury Morris’ talk has been annoying – I haven’t heard too much responding. They have cute but meaningful traditions in training camp: to get a day off, special teams players have to teach young offensive linemen to catch a punt and not drop it. I admire Belichick’s stoicism; it speaks to a great deal of self-control.

Part II coming: Why I’m rooting for the Patriots to lose

No comments: