Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A football fan's guilt

This article about concussions in football is disturbing to me. I really like football, and I am especially fond of watching linemen. But it may be that long-term (or even short-term) careers in professional football can be damaging to players' brains.

How guilty should a football fan be? Assuming the science is correct, one thing is for certain: in about 20 years, players that we are fond of now will be falling victim to these chronic brain injuries.

3 comments:

Vince said...

Jim,

I think most of the players know the consequences before playing the game. In situations like this I always remember a conversation Michael Corleone had with Hyman Roth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6DPq2_c2M

Vince said...

However, I do think more information needs to be given to the players about the craziness that results from multiple concussions. They have already been attributed to mental instability, brain damage, suicide and the list goes on.

Jim said...

Vince, I think everyone knows the extreme cases (Mike Webster, etc.), but not everyone knows the damage that regular small hits could do.

That being said, that is the business that they've chosen.