Saturday, May 24, 2008

The "Id"-iocy of the Unconscious Mind...

A couple of months ago, Hayden and I were having dinner at Cici's pizza. Hayden will bounce between the small game room and the table to occasionally take a bite between dumping quarters for superballs and plastic bling. At the table next to me was two teenage girls embedded in conversation covering the expected range of topics. I tried to drown out the chaos by watching the news until the girls conversation switched to something more interesting, the democratic nomination. Believe it or not, it was back in early March that Obama had been placed in a position to inevitably win. "He will be shot, " one of the girls said to the other. "A black won't be president for long." Maybe I am naive, but this was the first time, this horrible potentiality had crossed my mind. I spent the next few moments wondering if I was more uncomfortable with the subject or the fact the girl made the statement with the same tone and inflection as her previous blabber about "The Hills."

No comments: